29 November 2012

From the Palate of a Non Wine Connoisseur: Fratelli Barba Wine

We’re back again with my latest series on wine reviews!

A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to review the amazing Fratelli Barba red wine. Before I get into what I thought of the wine, here’s a little background of the brand and their makers. The winery was founded by three brothers - Vincenzo, Giovanni, and Domenico Barba. Vincenzo Barba serves as the CEO (don’t you love when wine runs in a family?).

The winery itself is at the foot of the Colle Morino hills in Italy. According to their website, the winery brings out the best of the harvest with the wine recently renovating the “entry line for the grapes” in 2005. 




The particular wine I tried is the Fratelli Barba Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (which is a red wine, my favorite). What I love about this particular wine maker are the details that go with each and every bottle. On their website, you can find information on the winemaking process, and for those of you who do consider yourself a “connoisseur,” you will also learn about “vineyard characteristics,” as well. Here’s a little bit about the winemaking process for this bottle -

Harvest of grapes in small cases.Fermentation with controlled temperature in conical base vats with post-fermentation maceration till 18 days from fermentation start.Malolactic fermentation with wine refining on its fine dregs for a minimum of 60 days

Now, what did I think about this wine?

First of all, it smelled very sweet, sort of like a grape vine and I love when a wine smells like that, because I suddenly feel like I’m right there at the vineyard. This wine also doesn’t have a very bitter taste, but it isn’t very sweet either. I appreciated this a lot, because a sweet wine can just be overwhelming with flavor and I don’t always like this in wine. It has a deep berry flavor and has a slight currant flavor to it.

So, what should you do if you want to try a bottle yourself?

You can currently purchase this wine online, if it’s distributed in your state of course. Or, if you live in the states - NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, MD, DC - make sure you look for it in stores. It costs about $10.99 a bottle.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary bottle of wine in exchange for an honest review.

0 People Had Something to Say:

Post a Comment

I love comments! The good, the bad, and the ugly, so tell me what you have to say! And if you like what you read (or at least find yourself entertained), follow my blog to read more. Although I'm not always able to respond to comments immediately, I appreciate every one of them.

Note: I also have received a lot of spam comments lately and I am temporarily requiring word verification. Sorry for the hassle!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis

All Blog Posts Belong to Nicole Pyles. Powered by Blogger.