26 October 2012

Should You Buy A Nook? A Review





Have you ever thought about getting an e-reader?

Well, if you have, you are not alone. I've thought the very same thing!

And I can't believe my luck - I had the partner up with Staples and review the NOOK Simple Touch and it's an amazing little device that I am so enamoured with already.
Here are a few of the main features of the NOOK, according to Staples' site -

Readable text, even when reading in the sun.
Only about 7 ounces
Holds up to 1000 Books
Holds a charge for up to a month (if you are using the GlowLight) or 2 months without the glow light.

And that is just the beginning!

At first sight, I was obviously thrilled. The NOOK is light as advertised and I carried it in my purse so comfortably all week (which is a wonderful alternative to me carrying several hardbacks or paperbacks around with me all day). Plus, it is somewhat small (about the size of a very thin paperback book, maybe a bit wider) and I comfortably snuck it in between the papers, junk, makeup bags, and change purses I have jammed into my purse!

Now, the actual reading part. First off, I read while on the bus and on occasion, the sun hit the device (when there actually was sun, anyways). I had no distraction from my book and there wasn't any sharp reflexion that prevented me from enjoying it.

And how about that GLOW?

Take a look here...

 





First, what I love about the glow of the NOOK is its easy to adjust how bright you want it. Plus, it's a soft light. My eyes tend to hurt when I'm reading something lit (like my cell phone, for example) in contrast to a really dark room. So I am very sensitive to this type of thing and had no problems at all reading with the GLOW feature activated while in bed.

Now, how about actually getting the books? Well, here is the only negative - you do need wireless access to download your books to your device. I am lucky that I do have a wireless connection to use and that made downloading my books that much easier.

On a side note, if you don't have a wireless connection, there are instructions on connecting your device to your computer and downloading the books that way.

I'm also really glad for the lending program and the epic amount of free books that you can find with the NOOK. In a couple of weeks, I'll make sure to follow up this post with where you can get free e-books (or borrow them!

The Downside:

There aren't many actually. The NOOK is easy to navigate and use. So, if you are a little intimidated by new technology you don't have anything to worry about. I love the simplicity of this device. I had no interest in getting an e-reader with apps. This may be a negative if you are looking forward to that particular feature, but me, I didn't need that and I appreciated the fact that this is just for books.

Should you buy a NOOK?

My opinion? Yes. There are so many amazing e-books out there, many of which aren't in print form and you know what? It is NOT the same using an e-reader app on your cell phone. It just isn't.

And you know this would make a perfect gift for that reader in your family (or for you!), so click this Staples' link to find out pricing information and other additional details.

Disclaimer: A special thank you to Staples for providing me with a complimentary NOOK in exchange for an honest review.




13 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of my Nook Tablet, I've read a few books and subscribe to a magazine on it and love the overall experience of an e-reader.

    ~Dee
    about.me/deyanira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I would love a NOOK!! This would be a much easier way for me to read books and avoid my one year old ripping them off the bookshelf! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a Kindle and love it! I'm sure I'd love the Nook, too.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the Kindle application for my iPad and I like it quite a bit. I got turned off by the ereaders. My first was the Sony e-reader which I liked, but then the explosion of all these cool readers like Kindle and Nook, but they were too expensive, so I found a couple knockoff lesser known brands which were crap and my frustrations turned me away from ereaders altogether.

    I like the Kindle app though. I can't say I ever gave Nook a chance and that's not fair, but I would have if the iPad 3 didn't come out.

    Great feedback post, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the glow. I just received an eReader and I'm still kind of figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own the Nook Glowlight (my second Nook). I absolutely love it, and I would recommend it highly. I use it to borrow books from my local library, as well as, buying books (I use B&N). The glowlight is so much better than using a book light. And the non-glare screen is perfect for reading books. I move a lot, so using an e-reader has saved me from having to give away books or move heavy book boxes when I move.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a nook tablet and love it..nook is a great brand

    ReplyDelete
  8. another excellent review-- and it looks great! I didn't know about the sun and the "light" part, but I don't know if you can buy a nook outside of the US....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic review! I have Nook too and absolutely love it for all the reasons you mention! The pages are so easy to read, I was so surprised by how easily I switched from book to Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my Nook. I think its a great investment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I have a Kindle, which I love, but it's not back-lit like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my Nook! I had a first edition, now I have a simple touch. I love it! I also have a Kindle...I don't like it as much as my Nook. I like the display a lot better on the Nook and I like to see page counts not percentages while I'm reading. I just checked out the new Nook Tablet HDs at my local B&N...I want one! The display was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! The good, the bad, and the ugly, so tell me what you have to say! And if you like what you read (or at least find yourself entertained), follow my blog to read more. Although I'm not always able to respond to comments immediately, I appreciate every one of them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis

All Blog Posts Belong to Nicole Pyles. Powered by Blogger.