07 June 2012

Goodbye Ray Bradbury

I am so sad to say that Ray Bradbury has passed.  He lived from 1921 - 2012 and died at the age of 91 in his home in California.

I have to say I have read several of his books and enjoyed them thoroughly (a few I will mention in a minute). So I wanted to honor his work and his impact on the reading and writing world.  Funny thing is I learned after reading an article that he never embraced technology despite his futuristic worlds. He even considered the "internet a scam." (Can't agree with him there, but we all have our vices, right?) (And considering this is the author of Fahrenheit 451, are we really that surprised about that?)

Anyways...here's a few of my favorite books by this amazing writer -





Dandelion Wine


Something Wicked This Way Comes


And not to mention...the writer of the novel The Halloween Tree (never read the book, but I loved the movie, so here's a clip of that) --




So thank you Ray Bradbury for everything you have done for the literary world. You will be greatly missed.

If you are a fan, what is some of your favorite Ray Bradbury books? If you are a writer reading this, did he ever inspire one of your stories? 
Categories:

6 comments:

  1. This is sad news. I am a fan of Ray Bradbury.

    'Fahrenheit 451' is one of my favorite stories of all time; possibly because it has to do with books and censorship. I just loved the idea that people memorized books to keep them alive. The story has a great hero.

    Among my other favorites is 'The Martian Chronicles'. A story about humanity and civilization - and so much more. Like so many of his other works, this is science fiction with a message - a moral (if you will).

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was indeed a great writer with a great imagination. He will be missed! But we still have his stories, and the world is so fortunate that he shared his stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lena. It's a nice tribute to write a blog to him. I used to devour Sci-Fi as a teenager and they all kind of run together now but I know he inspired many great shows and movies too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading The Martian Chronicles in my early 20s and being completed transported to Mars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was one of a kind and will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am familiar with the name Ray Bradbury but have to admit to my shame I have never read any of his novels. Perhaps I will start with the Halloween Tree. At 91 his longevity is certainly something to admire.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! The good, the bad, and the ugly, so tell me what you have to say! And if you like what you read (or at least find yourself entertained), follow my blog to read more. Although I'm not always able to respond to comments immediately, I appreciate every one of them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis

All Blog Posts Belong to Nicole Pyles. Powered by Blogger.